Thy Ten Commandments of TdZ
As students at the University of Michigan, we’ve heard our fair share of pre-graduation bucket lists. Try every shot at Charleys, spin the cube, eat late night hippie hash at Fleetwood Diner, break into the Big House, the list goes on.
Our bucket list involves one establishment and one establishment only: Zingerman’s Deli.
While every student at Michigan is legally required to go to Zingerman’s at least once in their four years in Ann Arbor, not many can say they have tried every sandwich on the menu.
And that’s where we come in.
We are embarking on the ultimate foodie quest. As a group, we will be trying all sandwiches on the Zingerman’s Deli menu before graduation next May. Can we do it? You bet your pastrami.
Before we set out on our journey, we will lay the groundwork for what we believe will be the most epic, rewarding, and delicious bucket list to ever hit Ann Arbor. Let’s do this.
BEHOLD: THY 10 COMMANDMENTS OF ZINGERMAN’S
1. As avid Zingerman’s fans, it’s safe to say we have been to the deli numerous times. That being said, once we found our favorite sandwich, it was hard to break out of that rut. Some of us have actually only had one sandwich (gasp!).
For rule number one: thou shalt not order a sandwich that has been ordered 2+ times prior.
2. We often ponder why Zingerman’s would go so far as to duplicate a sandwich and choose not to grill said sandwich. For example, #18. The Georgia Reuben and #20. Tom’s New Job. More on that later, as the Georgia Reuben is a fan favorite and deserves its own post.
Therefore, thou shalt not order a sandwich that is the same as another sandwich but isn’t grilled. Duh.
3. To us, Zingerman’s is all about the sandwich experience. It is for this reason that we choose to remove the salad options as well as side dishes from this bucket list. Maybe if we go to grad school.
Thou shalt not eat salads on the Tour de Zing. Go to Revive or something.
4. Melissa will go above and beyond to try all trendy fountain drinks that Zingerman’s has to offer. This will most likely prove to be challenging, as she is a passionate Diet Coke fan.
Thou shalt give underdog soda companies a chance.
5. We have thought long and hard about the hot dog portion of the menu and have come to the conclusion that hot dogs will be in the running! Because a Zingerman’s hot dog has got to be tastier than a Hebrew National weiner…
Thou shalt enjoy America’s pasttime and indulge in all 4 of Zingerman’s hot dogs.
6. Vegetarians: we love ya, but we simply don’t have time to try all 9 of the vegetarian options. Our roommate, Lauren, will bravely attempt to try one (ONE!) other sandwich on the menu.
Thou shalt eat your veggies.
7. We recognize our faults. Yes, I admit to requesting yellow mustard over Russian on my reuben. A sin! Preposterous! How could one possibly alter the Godly flavor combinations Ari and Paul set before us?!
Thou shalt not alter the ingredients on the sandwich. Unless it is mayo.
8. Back to the grilled scenario. We simply cannot get past the fact that certain Zingerman’s sandwiches are served cold. Thus,
Thou shalt order all non-grilled sandwiches grilled.
9. Unfortunately, Zingerman’s only serves breakfast until 11 AM. Because we are “very hard working, passionate, and dedicated Seniors in college and work until the wee hours of the morning,” we simply don’t have time to try each of the breakfast sandwiches.
Thou shalt enjoy brunching at Nick’s, Fleetwood, Angelo’s, Northside, and Broken Egg around 1 PM.
10. Let’s make this the most unforgettable and delicious year yet.
Thou shalt solemnly swear to try our best and complete the tasks set before us. Thou shalt also make some time to do school work.
Clear eyes, full stomaches, can’t lose,
The TdZ Team